§410ee. San Antonio Missions National Historical Park
16 U.S.C. § 410ee
Each agreement under paragraph (2) shall provide among other things that the owner will hold and preserve the historic property in perpetuity and will not undertake or permit the alteration or removal of historic features or the erection of markers, structures, or buildings without the prior concurrence of the Secretary, and that the public shall have reasonable access to those portions of the property to which access is necessary in the judgment of the Secretary for the proper appreciation and interpretation of its historical and architectural value. Pursuant to such cooperative agreements and notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary the Secretary may, directly or by contract, construct, reconstruct, rehabilitate, or develop such buildings, structures, and related facilities including roads, trails, and other interpretive facilities on real property not in Federal ownership and may maintain and operate programs in connection therewith as he deems appropriate. Any lands or interest therein owned by the Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio, the State of Texas, or any political subdivision of such State, including the San Antonio River Authority, may be acquired by donation only: Provided, That the Secretary shall submit all proposed cooperative agreements to the Department of Justice for a determination that the proposed agreements do not violate the constitutional provisions regarding the separation of church and state.
The Secretary shall designate one member to be Chairman of the Commission and may fill any vacancy in the same manner in which the original appointment was made.
Footnotes
Notes, amendments, and revision history
(Pub. L. 95–629, title II, § 201, Nov. 10, 1978, 92 Stat. 3636; Pub. L. 96–344, § 13, Sept. 8, 1980, 94 Stat. 1136; Pub. L. 101–628, title V, § 501, Nov. 28, 1990, 104 Stat. 4492; Pub. L. 103–437, § 6(j), Nov. 2, 1994, 108 Stat. 4585; Pub. L. 113–291, div. B, title XXX, § 3042, Dec. 19, 2014, 128 Stat. 3792.)
Editorial Notes
References in Text
The Act of August 25, 1916 (39 Stat. 535; 16 U.S.C. 1 et seq.), referred to in subsec. (d), is act Aug. 25, 1916, ch. 408, 39 Stat. 535, known as the National Park Service Organic Act, which enacted sections 1, 2, 3, and 4 of this title and provisions set out as a note under section 100101 of Title 54, National Park Service and Related Programs. Sections 1 to 4 of the Act were repealed and restated as section 1865(a) of Title 18, Crimes and Criminal Procedure, and section 100101(a), chapter 1003, and sections 100751(a), 100752, 100753, and 102101 of Title 54 by Pub. L. 113–287, §§ 3, 4(a)(1), 7, Dec. 19, 2014, 128 Stat. 3094, 3260, 3272. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Tables. For disposition of former sections of this title, see Disposition Table preceding section 100101 of Title 54.
The Act of August 21, 1935 (49 Stat. 666; 16 U.S.C. 461–467), referred to in subsec. (d), is act Aug. 21, 1935, ch. 593, 49 Stat. 666, known as the Historic Sites Act of 1935 and also as the Historic Sites, Buildings, and Antiquities Act, which enacted sections 461 to 467 of this title. The Act was repealed and restated as section 1866(a) of Title 18, Crimes and Criminal Procedure, and sections 102303 and 102304 and chapter 3201 of Title 54, National Park Service and Related Programs, by Pub. L. 113–287, §§ 3, 4(a)(1), 7, Dec. 19, 2014, 128 Stat. 3094, 3260, 3272. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Tables. For disposition of former sections of this title, see Disposition Table preceding section 100101 of Title 54.
Amendments
2014—Pub. L. 113–291, § 3042(1), inserted section catchline.
Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 113–291 inserted subsec. heading, designated first, second, and third sentences as pars. (1), (2), and (4), respectively, inserted par. headings, and added par. (3).
1994—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 103–437, § 6(j)(1), substituted “Natural Resources” for “Interior and Insular Affairs” after “Committee on”.
Subsec. (f)(2). Pub. L. 103–437, § 6(j)(2), struck out at end “Within one year from November 10, 1978, the Secretary shall develop and transmit to the Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs of the United States House of Representatives and the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources of the United States Senate a final master plan for the development of the park consistent with the objectives of this section, indicating (A) the facilities needed to accommodate the health, safety, and interpretive needs of the visiting public; (B) the location and estimated cost of all facilities; and (C) the projected need for any additional facilities within the park.”
1990—Subsec. (a). Pub. L. 101–628, § 501(a), inserted after first sentence “The park shall also consist of the lands and interests therein within the area bounded by the line depicted as ‘Proposed Boundary Extension’ on the maps entitled ‘San Antonio Missions National Historical Park’, numbered 472–80,075, 472–80,076, 472–80,077, 472–80,078, 472–80,079, 472–80,080, and 472–80,081 and dated June 7, 1990, which shall be on file and available for public inspection in the same manner as is such drawing.”
Subsec. (f)(2). Pub. L. 101–628, § 501(b), substituted “$15,000,000” for “$500,000”.
1980—Subsec. (e)(1). Pub. L. 96–344 substituted “eleven” for “seven” in provision preceding subpar. (A) and “six” for “two” in subpar. (F).